Click on the link below to read my review:
- The Tale of Genji ((源氏物語 Genji monogatari, 11th century), translated by Royall Tyler
About the book
- Written in the early years of the 11th century
- Penguin Classics, 2003, 1182 p., tr. Royall Tyler, Goodreads;
- I am reading this book in weekly installments, as a readalong, for Japanese Literature Challenge;
- The Tale of Genji made into a movie several times: first in 1951 by director Kōzaburō Yoshimura (IMDb), in 1966 by director Kon Ichikawa (IMDb), and an anime film in 1987 by director Gisaburo Sugii (IMDb).
- Translated by (I) Arthur Waley (Tuttle Publishing, 2010, 1155 p.); (II) Edward G. Seidensticker (Alfred A. Knopf, 1993, 1224 p.); (III) Royall Tyler (Penguin Classics, 2002, 1216 p.); (IV) Dennis Washburn’s (W. W. Norton & Company, 2015, 1360 p.);