20 Books of Summer | 2018

Hello, lovelies,

I have recently come back from a bike trip along the Via Julia, a route following the Roman road from Günzburg to Salzburg. The weather was warm, blue-skied and sunny, and Summer was impatiently making its way around us.

In my inner literary calender, this means another thing: it’s time for another 20 Books of Summer!

20 Books of Summer

The challenge is hosted by Cathy over at the 746 Books blog. She has set herself a challenge to read 20 books between June , 1st and September, 3rd this year. Anyone can  join in, and you are free to choose your reading goals to 10 / 15 / 20 books, as fits your summer reading plans. 🙂

Here is my list:

1. Flights, by Olga Tokarczuk  (tr.  Jennifer Croft, first published 2007)
  2. Sight by Jessie Greengrass (2018)
  3. These Possible Lives, by Fleur Jaeggy (tr. Minna Proctor, first published 2009)
  4. Pilgrimage 2, by Dorothy Richardson
    1. The Tunnel (1919)
    2. Interim (1920)
  5. The Home-Maker, Dorothy Canfield-Fischer (1924)
  6. Testament of Youth, by Vera Brittain (1933)
  7. The Matriarch, by GB Stern (1924)
  8. Poor Caroline, by Winifred Holtby (1931)
  9. A View of the Harbour, by Elizabeth Taylor (1947)
  10. Treasure Hunt, by Molly Keane (1952)
  11. The Shaking Woman, by Siri Hustvedt (2009)
  12. Vera, by Elizabeth von Arnim (1921)
  13. Wild Strawberries, by Angela Thirkell (1934)
  14. Valentine, by George Sand (1832)
  15. Marriage, by Susan Ferrier (1818)
  16. Mathilda, by Mary Shelley (1819)
  17. Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley, by Charlotte Gorden (2015)
  18. Artemisia, by Anna Banti (tr. Shirley D’Ardia Caracciol, first published 1947)
  19. The Blue Room, by Hanne Ørstavik (tr. Deborah Dawkin, first published 1999)
  20. The Unmapped Country, by Ann Quin (2018, posthumously published)

That’s all for now, folks! What are your reading projects for Summer? Do tell me about them.

Yours truly,

J.

Winslow Homer, “Sunlight and Shadow”, 1872

Advertisements

18 Comments

1. What an interesting list! A View of the Harbour is possibly my favourite Taylor. I have no plans at all, apart from to read as many books as possible! 🙂 And preferably some long ones…

Liked by 1 person

1. I am looking forward for the Taylor! I will be reading it for Jane’s Birthday Book of Underappreciated Authors 🙂 Happy reading, Karen!

Liked by 1 person

2. I am so excited that it’s time for 20 Books of Summer, too! I’m loving all these Virago titles on your list; Wild Strawberries is one of my favorites. I haven’t finalized my own list yet, but Testament of Youth will definitely be on it, and I might include Romantic Outlaws as well. Best of luck completing your list!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I am reading Testament of Youth with the Classics Club in June, and Romantic Outlaws with a bookclub. Perhaps we can do a readalong (?) 🙂 Happy reading!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yay, I’m also reading Testament as part of the #cctestament group. A readalong of Romantic Outlaws sounds very tempting! When are you planning to read it?

2. I am also taking part at the Classics Club Readalong! It will be nice to exchange impressions on Brittain. And I am planning to read Romantic Outlaws in June, for a bookclub – do you fancy a reread-along? 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. A Romantic Outlaws read-along actually sounds fabulous!

4. Yay! I probably won’t be online much this weekend, but maybe we can make a reading plan early next week

5. Great 🙂 Have a nice weekend!

Liked by 1 person

3. I love your list! I only recently experienced Von Arnim for the first time, but she is such a wonderful writer! I’m also hoping to get to Romantic Outlaws for the bookclub, if I can manage. Fleur Jaeggy is also on my to-get-to-soon top, although the book I have my eye on is I’m the Brother of XX. Happy summer reading!

1. Thank you, Natalie! I read The Enchanted April last year, and loved its atmosphere. I am very very curious about Jaeggy – everyone seems to be talking about her… I’ll be looking forward to your review of Brother of XX. Happy reading for you, too! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. A very interesting list, some great choices there. I’m curious to see how you find The Blue Room. It’s a rather unsettling novel – not the most straightforward read but certainly a thought-provoking one.

1. Thank you, Jacqui! I am very intrigued by The Blue Room. Not sure if it is a book for summer, but I wanted to read it soon 🙂

5. I’m excited about doing this, too, but I’m not setting up my pile until 1 June in case I read loads between now and then (hm). Lovely choices on there, the Viragoes in particular (are you doing All Virago / All August? I always have to pick out all my Viragoes and Persephones to reserve for that month!). Have fun!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you, Liz! Yes, I am trying my hand at Virago (almost) All August, while also embarking on Women in Translation Month… Have fun with your reading, too! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. Nice stack. I read ‘Testament of Youth’ earlier this year and it’s still reverberating away – such a powerful book!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I am currently reading and loving it! Might turn out to be one of the best this year 🙂

Liked by 1 person