Library Loot, The 1977 Club & Dewey’s Readathon

Hello, folks!

Here are my reading plans for the following weeks:

Library Loot: April 11 to 18

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief, encouraging bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. Here is what I got this week:

• Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude “Ma” Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday, by Angela Y. Davis: This is the March book for the Tales & Co. Goodreads Group, hosted by A Skeptical Reader;
  • The Quarry: Essays, by Susan Howe (2015): a selection of Susan Howe’s previously uncollected essays;
  • This Ghostly Archives: The Unearthing of Sylvia Plath, by  Gail Crowther and Peter K. Steinberg (2017):  an attempt at reconstructing Plath, based on previously unpublished letters, manuscripts, photographs,  and poems found in archives from all around the world;
  • Mad Madge: The Extraordinary Life of Margaret Cavendish, by Katie Whitaker (2002): a biography of Margaret Cavendish

The 1977 Club

The 1977 club is hosted by Karen and Simon, and will take place from 16 to 22 April. The idea is to have people reading books first published in 1977. They make various clubs, where we all enjoy books from a particular year. I am planing to read The Passion of the New Eve, by Angela Carter (1977).

and, finally,

Dewey’s Readathon!

Yes, Dewey’s Readathon is just around the corner! The reading event was created by the beloved Dewey from the blog The Hidden Side of a Leafand held for the first time in October 2007. After Dewey died in late 2008, the readathon has been hosted by Heather of My Capricious Life and Andi of Estella’s Revenge. The idea is to devote 24 hours to reading (here you can know more about it). The event will take place on April 28, and I am joining in! I will try to read as much of my April TBR books as possible:

1. Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng
  2. I Capture The Castle, by Dodie Smith (for my Classics Spin # 17)
  3. Invitation to the Waltz, by Rosamond Lehmann (for the Virago Monthly Reads & my Classics Club list)
  4. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (for the Muriel Spark Readalong)
  5. Backwater, by Dorothy Richardson (for My Year of Pilgrimage)
  6. Crewe Train, by Rose Macaulay ( for the #VMCBookClub)
  7. Flights, by Olga Tokarczuk  (longlisted for the Man Booker International Prize)
  8. Sight by Jessie Greengrass (longlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction)
  9. Girl Reading, by Katie Ward
  10. You feel so mortal, by Peggy Shinner
  11. The Night Brother, by Rosie Garland

That’s all, folks. What are you reading? Do you have any new projects?

Yours ever so truly,

J.

Woman Reading, by Eastman Johnson, c. 1874

Advertisements

13 Comments

1. I’ve read some of Susan Howe’s poetry but I’d somehow missed her essay collection. I’ll be looking for it now. Great finds!

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s a new collection, I was happy to find it on my library 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. I may try to squeeze in the Carter too…. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s a slim book, it will be easy to squeeze it in 🙂 Happy 1977 reading, Karen! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. I’m doing the Carter, too, hooray, I’ve been wanting to re-read it for absolutely ages. And I’ve just signed up for the Readathon, as my husband will be away so it’s an ideal chance just to READ. I assume I’ll just gallop through a big chunk of TBR – I have quite a few smallish books on there.

1. Great! So it will almost be a readalong 🙂 My husband will be away during Dewey’s, too, so it will be perfect for reading 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. I’ve started my 1977 reading, and had considered reading the Carter but resisted because it meant buying another book. I do try to be good.

1. Happy 1977 reading, Ali! I am reading the Carter now, but I really don’t know what to think of it! Such a strange book…

5. Blues Legacies and Black Feminism sounds fascinating. Happy reading!

6. Have a good time at the read-a-thon. I remember reading with Dewey when she was began hosting it, and I felt the loss of her especially as the bookish community was so much smaller (and more intimate) then. I think you might like Flights for that event; not only is it my favorite of all the MBIP listed books, it lends itself to picking up and setting down as one might do during a 24 hour reading event. 😉

7. P.s. I’m so happy to see Flights amongst your titles. What a fabulous book! I, personally, hope it wins the MBIP 2018.

1. Thank you, Bellezza! I didn’t manage to read Flights, but I will do it in May! 🙂