Ali Smith was born in 1962 in Scotland. She studied at the University of Aberdeen and began a PhD at Newnham College, Cambridge, but never completed it. She writes regularly for The Guardian, The Scotsman and Times Literary Supplement.
Short story collections
- Free Love and Other Stories (1995).
- Other Stories and Other Stories (1999)
- The Whole Story and Other Stories (2003)
- The First Person and Other Stories (2008)
- Public Library and Other Stories (2015)
- Like (1997)
- Hotel World (2001).
- The Accidental (2005).
- Girl Meets Boy (2007).
- There But For The (2011).
- Artful (2012).
- How to Be Both (2014)
- Autumn (2016)
- Winter (2017)
- Spring (2019)
- Summer (2020)
- “Shire” (2013), with images by Sarah Wood: short stories and autobiographical writing. Full Circle Editions.
- The Seer (2001)
- Just (2005)
- Free Love and Other Stories (1995), awarded the Saltire First Book of the Year award.
- Hotel World (2001), awarded the Encore Award, a Scottish Arts Council Book Award and the inaugural Scottish Arts Council Book of the Year Award. Shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction and the Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
- The Accidental (2005), shortlisted for the 2005 Man Booker Prize and the Orange Prize for Fiction. Winner of the 2005 Whitbread Novel of the Year award.
- Girl Meets Boy (2007), winner of Diva magazine readers’ choice Book of the Year, Sundial Scottish Arts Council Novel of the Year.
- Artful (2012), shortlisted for the inaugural Goldsmiths Prize (2013).
- How to Be Both (2014), shortlisted for the 2014 Man Booker Prize, and the Folio Prize. It was the winner of the 2014 Goldsmiths Prize, the Novel Award in the 2014 Costa Book Awards and of the 2015 Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction.